Sunday, November 18, 2007

Take The Heat

Take The Heat
November 18, 2007

They say, "if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen."

And the other day we heard a voice on the radio say: "Hillary says she likes it in the kitchen."

Now that's something on which we can agree. Eating fresh food, in the kitchen or al fresco outdoors, with others or on my own, is one of my favorite things to do!

However, when Monona went into the sauna after swimming, I chose to stand outside beside the door.

Why anyone would want to go into a hot, dark box, then just sit there and bake, I just don't get. But humans are a strange species, as I'm continuing to learn.

The weather is getting colder now here in Madison, Wisconsin. This week it's supposed to get down to freezing temperature, which feels more like home to me.

I just hope people remember: the higher they set the heat in their homes and offices now, the more CO2 goes up the chimney, out into the atmosphere, and the hotter our already overheated Earth will get. Recent reports that scientific global warming projections have been way conservative means that our Earth could become an uninhabitable Mars-like frying pan soon, rather than years or decades away.

With Thanksgiving coming up this week, we are all thinking of what we are grateful for. I am really grateful for my nice fur coat. And the colder it gets, the more comfortable I feel.

What would make me extremely grateful this Thanksgiving would be if some brilliant engineering team - surely at UW-Madison and elsewhere in Wisconsin we've got a few - would come up with a way for us to all convert to solar energy for heating in winter and cooling in summer. And while they're at it, they would come up with a way for cars to run on solar too! Monona told me that many students do some of the most creative work of their semester while digesting turkey.

So there you have it, Polar Bear Witness' holiday gift request: All I want this season is a solar car, a solar car, a solar car! All I want this season is a solar car and a solar home/office heating & cooling system too! Please?

Sleigh bells ring, are ya listenin'? In the lane solar's glistenin' . . . it's a beautiful sight, we're happy tonight, snoozin' in our solar-heated home!

Truly yours,
~Polar Bear Witness
P.S. Please share the bear! www.polarbearwitness.blogspot.com

No comments: