Sunday, November 25, 2007

Love, Peace & Chocolate

Love, Peace & Chocolate
Cafe Soleil
Saturday, November 3, 2007

As Monona and I sat down at the market cafe this morning to make another entry in our journal, I noticed that we were almost at the end of the tiny, three-by-four inch, handmade paper pages of our beige and silver, silk and floral applique-bound book. Quite dainty for a Polar Bear.

It was a gift from Monona's New York City artist girlfriend, N. Cognita, whose favorite thing to do - imagine this - is to make art from junk!


So we took inspiration from our detritus-artist buddy and just turned the notebook upside-down, writing on blank pages of the other side.

As I took in the scene from the back of the cafe while Monona scribbled down my thoughts, what I noticed about being out in public is that small children usually recognize me first. They look up at me, their eyes and mouths open wide, and they smile. I guess that's good because they will be the ones who may still be around when my relatives and I become extinct. Who said that? Talk about creating a future of negative possibility to live into. Wow. Am I it, or what?

Today we're going to a demonstration called "Step It Up" to tell public officials and ourselves that we need action to reduce global warming, now. I've never been to a demonstration before, unless you consider my performance on the Capitol lawn in early October during the Saturday Farmers' Market one of those. No, that was more
guerrilla theater. Yes, I would call it that, even though I'm a bear.

Hey, wow! I do have to say, I like this cafe. The coffee barrista, Karen, just walked by and patted my tummy. That felt good! She said to Monona, "He looks so cute!" Well, truth is, I look just like the other members of the troupe, but getting out socially might be doing something for my aura, as it were.

Gosh, time flies and it's almost quarter to. Time to go pick out our veggies, apples, maple syrup and cranberries. Yum! Berries, as you may know, are a food that we bears love!

Just as we headed out the door, barrista Karen came by! In time for me to have my wish come true: having my picture taken with her. You'll notice that the big white letters on her sweatshirt spell out the words
Peace and Love. The small print spells out: Chocolate.

Truly yours,
Polar Bear Witness
P.S. Please share the bear! www.polarbearwitness.blogspot.com


No comments: