Saturday, November 10, 2007

Run For Literacy, Environmental Literacy


It's true that one of my interests is jogging.

We Polar Bears need to stay fit and in shape.


Fortunately, two of Monona's best friends, Ellie and Joni, get me out on occasion, and here we are at Madison's annual Literacy Run.



Even though it was already the first Sunday in October, it sure felt more like mid-summer than fall. The temperature climbed up to eighty degrees.

As you can see, by the time the race was over we were sweaty and hot.
Fortunately, Joni is a nurse who specializes in patient recovery, and she kept tabs on my heartbeat that day.

Ellie brought along a bottle of ice water that we shared as it melted along our three-mile route.

Along the way several people - one of them was a teacher at Cherokee Middle School - asked why I came out for the Literacy Run. Monona told them that I was there to represent Environmental Literacy. "Once people can read, they can understand," she said, "and once they understand, they can act."

For the life of me, I hope that's true!

Truly yours,
Bear Witness

No comments: